When someone mentions mental illness and books, probably the first things that pop into your mind are One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or Hyperbole and a Half.
Definitely read the latter by the way. Allie is amazing.
There are a lot of varied books, both fiction and non-fiction, on mental illness issues that I think are great reads. Now, I haven't read all of these, but they have great reviews and look interesting for sure.
- A Head Full of Ghosts (schizophrenia)
- A Tale for the Time Being (depression)
- After a While You Just Get Used to It: A Tale of Family Clutter (bipolar disorder, hoarding, and more)
- After Birth (postpartum depression)
- All the Bright Places (depression)
- Finding Audrey (anxiety and panic disorders)
- Girl, Interrupted (borderline personality disorder)
- Hausfrau (depression)
- I Don't Want to be Crazy (anxiety and panic disorders)
- It's Kind of a Funny Story (depression)
- Irritable Hearts: A PTSD Love Story (PTSD)
- Mrs. Dalloway (depression)
- My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide to Managing Anxiety and Panic (anxiety and panic disorders)
- OCD Love Story (OCD)
- Running with Scissors (childhood with depressed and/or alcoholic parents)
- Scars (sexual abuse, cutting)
- Sickened : the memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood (child abuse, Munchausen)
- Speak (rape, PTSD)
- Sybil (childhood abuse, multiple personality disorder)
- Tender is the Night (schizophrenia, sexual abuse, and more)
- The Bell Jar (depression)
- The Glass Castle (childhood with an alcoholic parent)
- The Hours (depression)
- The Passion of Alice (anorexia, eating disorder)
- The Program (depression)
- The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness (depression, schizophrenia)
- The Things They Changed (PTSD)
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror (PTSD)
- Unholy Ghost: Writers on Depression (depression)
- Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression (depression)
Do you have any favorite books on mental illness?
I hope that you'll join me on my MedX journey Sept 24-27! I'll be live tweeting the whole time so hit me up @kirstie_schultz, catch the live streams at the Medicine X website, and join in the conversations using the tag #MedX.