If you love sarcasm, guinea pigs, musical theater, and changing the world, you're in the right place! This blog aims to discuss realistically the challenges facing those living with chronic illnesses in today's world, ways to change the healthcare system, and how we can live our best lives while rocking House, MD replica canes.
If you're looking for tips on how to improve healthcare or the doctor-patient relationship, make sure to check out the ePatient tag.
There are some regular theme days where posts center on ideas like medical care (Medical Mondays), terminology (Terminology Tuesdays), silly things (Wacky Wednesdays), mental health (Therapeutic Thursdays), and our relationships with ourselves (Self-care Sundays).
Side note: If self-care and relationships with chronic illnesses interest you, make sure to check out my blog with Creaky Joints or Chronic Sex.
In the past, I've been featured on BlogHer, Everyday Health, and more! I also regularly work with Creaky Joints, Joint Decisions, the Arthritis Foundation, and Arthritis Introspective, among others.
Want to work with me? Please check out my media kit.
Who am I?
My name is Kirsten. I'm a writer and chronic illness guru.
I also love the ukulele.
Oh, also I'm chronically ill and have been for most of my life. I fell ill with Systemic Juvenile Arthritis or Still's Disease in November of 1993. Since then, the diagnoses have just kept coming. I am now diagnosed with fibromyalgia, psoriasis, patellofemoral arthralgia in both knees, anemia, scoliosis, asthma, gluten intolerance, depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder. I also have suspected dairy intolerance and Raynaud's phenomenon.
|Me and Say Hi|
I started NSSD in 2009 when my husband (referred to here as 'T') noticed that I wrote more and more about health over on my first (and, thankfully, defunct) blog.
I wrote that first blog to help T and I both learn about my SJIA. In the process, I found my true calling - talking with and helping my fellow chronically badass peeps.
|Melissa of 710.9, Hurt Blogger, and me|
That said, I have done this with other organizations. Click here to read my disclaimers regarding medical advice and compensation.
Some posts about the work I do across the healthcare/chronic illness community:
- In Sickness + In Health Podcast, Part 1 (Epi 10)
- In Sickness + In Health Podcast, Part 2 (Epi 14): Let's Get Physical
- Health Central write up on the Lucille Ball Petition
- Video interview w/ local news on the Lucy petition and their write up
- A piece I did for my high school in late 2014 (page 20)
- Food, Stress, and RA: How I Found My Triggers
- Fragility: the Lesser Known Pain of Chronic Illness
- Working with Arthritis: My Experience
- So Wait, What is it Like To Be Sick All the Time?
- Arthritis: It Isn't Just For Old People
- Quoted in "Those with Rheumatoid Arthritis More Likely to Die Early"
- Quoted in "How to Have the Gentle Sex Your Doctor Ordered"
Want to connect with me elsewhere?